About Me

Hey Guys!
My name is Chynna and I live in Jacksonville, Florida.
I am a third year teacher and am teaching first grade for the second year.
I am new to the blogging world and am obsessed with my teacher gram. You can follow me at firstgradeisafairytale!
I love the color pink, bows, crafting, and sour straws!

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Room 16 Where 1st Grade is a Fairy Tale

So after almost a month of working in my class, it is (Almost) completely finished. I still have curtains, a sign to add,  and to finish up my new idea of a writing center but other than that I AM DONE decorating. So here is a little classroom tour of Room 16. Where First Grade is a Fairy Tale! This is my hallway bulletin board. My school this year has adopted the program "Leader In Me." With this program we focus on the 7 habits of Happy Kids, ultimately teaching our students how to be leaders. When you walk into my classroom straight ahead is my reading corner. Here is a look into my reading corner. My castle is actually two book cases put into an L shape and covered with colored paper. For the top I covered 2 shoe boxes and cut the triangles from butcher paper and TADA!!!!.. I had a Castle.
 I must say my reading corner is definitely my favorite spot in my room. Between the clouds on the wall to my beanstalk and pink rug! My white buckets were a score from the target dollar section for just $3.00. Believe it or not that was the only place that I was able to find WHITE baskets. My beanstalk  was a pretty good score costing me a total of $3. I got two pool noodles and zip ties from the Dollar Tree. I cut the pool noodles  in half, braided them and kept them together with zip ties. The bottom is brown felt over a box and a green plastic table cover for the grass. Here is a closer look to my beanstalk.
My closet doors are directly to the left when you walk into my class. 
Here is my how we are getting home chart and lunch basket. The frog prince was a score from my favorite place, Dollar Tree! I haven't exactly found a use for it other than decorative but I love it! The yellow frame on my wall is my hall of fame.When my students make it to the top of our color chart they receive a sticky jewel of their choice. When they get 5 jewels on their clip their clip moves to the hall of fame where they get a new clip to start over and get to have a special cup with fancy supplies. Supplies in the hall of fame cup are colored glue sticks, fun eraser toppers, fancy pencils, and markers. The students also get to wear one of the visors that says I made it to the hall of fame! They go crazy over getting a jewel and the special cup they get to use for the day. 

Here are the boards on the right side of my room.

On these boards I will post anchor charts that we are currently working on! 

The blue behind the polka dot bored is actually tissue paper! I've used streamers before as a border but I wanted more of a texture to it and happened to have some tissue paper hanging near by. Overall, it took a bit of time but I'm really happy with the outcome. 

This is my front board. My I'm Done ... Now What? Cards are one of my favorite classroom management rules. They save me from hearing "Ms. Santos I'm done what do I do?!" one million times a day. These cards you can find in my TpT store in multiple colors along with the number cards above my board. 
 My first grade banner is one of my favorites! I made it from scrapbook paper, stickers, and ribbon I had laying around my classroom. This board is my skills board. As we learn skills I am going to add cards so we can continue to practice our foundation skills all year long. We have started off the year working on our short vowels (hence the a,e,i,o,u glue bottles!) .  
Now off to the back of my room ...
Here is my ROYAL Word Wall.
All bulletin headers are part of my fairy tale decor pack in my store First Grade is a Fairy Tale.
 At the back wall you can find our class cool down spot. If students move their clips down twice they then head over to the cool down spot to get an oops sheet and take a 10 min break to regroup and think about their actions and how they can turn it around. I use a digital kitchen timer from the dollar store. 
 Welcome to NEVERLAND. The focus being the 7 Habits and Leadership. 
 Mirror Mirror on the Wall There's a Leader in US ALL! 
and lastly here is the beginning to my writing center. I was randomly moving some stuff around and thought I needed  a writing center and decided to start one. I will have to keep you all posted as I get a little further. So here it is! 
And that is a look into my classroom. Whole class picture is soon too come! 

Hope you are all off to a great year! Thanks for stopping by!!!  :) 

2 comments:

  1. It looks so amazing Chynna! I'm so glad you joined the blogging world!

    Alexis Hudgens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your help and encouragement! Hope your year is off to a great start. :)

      Delete