About Me

Hey Guys!
My name is Chynna and I live in Jacksonville, Florida.
I am a third year teacher and am teaching first grade for the second year.
I am new to the blogging world and am obsessed with my teacher gram. You can follow me at firstgradeisafairytale!
I love the color pink, bows, crafting, and sour straws!

Friday, September 12, 2014

WOAH it has been a crazy week!

I have to start off by giving credit to all the teacher bloggers, TPT'ers, Instagramers and everything else that you all do. I truly do not know how you all keep up with it all. Between preparing for our Instructional Review visit, my first graders, teaching after school, my teachers pay teachers account and everything else on my list of teacher duties, this teacher has been exhausted! I am so glad that it is FRIDAY and I can semi relax. Even though I am one of those people who struggles to just relax and not do anything productive. It seems as though my brain is constantly going a million miles a minute, even when I am sleeping. So all I have to say is .... 


But anyways... This week with my students we have been going over the features of a sentence as far a punctuation, capitalization, and spacing goes. Which means I was super excited to use my SUPER SENTENCE FIX IT PACK. Last year, I taught my students about using SUPER HERO SWAG in their writing and they loved it. This year I took it a little further and created posters, checklists, and worksheets for SUPER HERO SWAG. I even passed around a super hero cape for students who were using SWAG in their sentence. Here is what our week looked like during writing.... 

I started off by introducing Superhero SWAG with my poster and going over what each letter represented. I then wrote a sentence on the board for the students that had mistakes associated with the letters of SWAG. I asked students if they could spot the mistakes in my sentence and called them up to rewrite the sentence fixing the mistakes. 

After the students fixed the sentence they had to go back and check their rewritten sentence for SWAG. If the students had all of the components of SWAG we sang them a little chant. It goes like this ... "You've Got Superhero SWAG ... AYYYY!" the kids absolutely loved it and really got pumped to write their sentences with SWAG. 

After practicing as a class I allowed my students to use the practice pages from my super sentence fix it pack. During this time I passed around the superhero cape and put a superhero sticker on their paper if they made the sentence have SWAG! (OF COURSE, They were superman stickers!)
Here is one of my students with the Superhero cape! 

My superhero cape was scored at Michaels craft store in the gift section for $3.00. But I of course used a 40% off coupon and my teacher id, so it was definitely a score! The students loved checking their writing for SWAG and have a constant reminder of what SWAG stands for both on our class poster as well as in their writing journals, where they glued the SWAG checklist from my Super Sentence Pack. 
For my Super Sentence pack check out my TPT store!
 http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Super-Sentence-Fix-It-Pack-1421326

Hope you all have a relaxing weekend, since you know I probably wont! lol 

No comments:

Post a Comment